Last year was my first time to join the “One Word” movement, with the word “Mindfulness.” I felt it was more effective than a list of resolutions, in producing lasting changes and enforcing habits.
The months leading to the national elections saw a lot of passionate campaigning on the ground, and more so on social media. The discourses were initially intelligent, rational, insightful, and calm. But in the weeks nearing the election, these degenerated into acrimonious exchanges and personal attacks. I was even tempted to unfollow a couple of friends who were of opposing camps but instead of campaigning for their respective candidates on their *own* walls, would attack the other person’s candidate on the latter’s wall. Anuba! Your own candidates do not even know you exist, and yet, you are fighting tooth and nail for them, at the expense of friendships! 😮
I thought that after the elections, my FB page would go back to “normal” (my normal FB feed being life milestones, geeky stuff, inspirational quotes, word porn, food porn, org porn). But it seems like the noise has all the more intensified, what with the close VP race, allegations of cheating , I.T., math and statistics experts weighing in on the numbers, stories of martial law, and bitter pronouncements among the losing candidates’ followers.
Anyway, enough of the rant. This blog’s my little online sanctuary and I intend for it to be happy and positive. (My FB feed’s noisy and nega as it is!). Despite the title being the winning presidentiable’s battlecry, this post was not intended to be political in the first place. I am writing this to to declare that change is coming… for myself: I AM GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT. Haha! 😛
I’ve been steadily gaining weight over the past few months. Whatever energy is spent running after the little one is offset by finishing his leftovers. 😮 But during our recent vacation in Manila, I went overboard. Between Manila Hotel’s buffet breakfast and the mother-in-law’s homecooked dinners, there was just too much food, I couldn’t help but stuff myself! @_@ So when we returned, I could barely zip up my pants. 😛 I’m running out of clothes to wear and losing weight is the cheaper option rather than overhauling my wardrobe. There’s a beach party I’ll be going to next month. And although hindi naman ako nagtwo-two piece, I still have to look presentable and not look like a beached whale. 😮 Also, my brother-in-law is getting married, so I have to look good for the family photo-op. 😉
I am putting this declaration out here for some accountability. Maybe you could rally me into sticking to my goals. 😉
Starting weight: 53 kg.
“Wednesday Whatevers” was supposed to be an attempt at a *weekly* roundup/update of things happening in my life. But it’s been a few weeks since I introduced it, and this is only my second WW. 😛 At the rate things are going, it just might become a biweekly, or even a monthly roundup. Won’t apologize for it though, since I know my priorities, and blogging is
nowhere near the top not among them. (I do try to write regularly in my *offline* journal though, but even that has not been so frequent as of late.)
I usually journal/blog late in the night, when my boys have already gone to bed and Internet is fastest. 😉 Lately though, I’ve been trying to sleep earlier, not so much as keeping my New Year’s resolutions (although that is an added bonus 😉 ), as regulating our son’s circadian rhythm. Since returning from our trip to Manila, the little one had a shift in eating and sleeping habits (and an explosion of vocabulary as well! 🙂 ). He doesn’t eat a lot during breakfast, but eats a lot in the afternoons and evenings, even insisting on a late-night snack and will only go to bed afterwards. While he is still able to complete 10 hours of sleep during the night, waking up later in the morning, and still have siesta in the afternoon, we feel it’s not physiologic for a toddler to still be up until midnight. @_@ So we’ve all been practicing sleep hygiene, tweaking our routines and adjusting our schedules, so that we are all asleep by 10 PM at the latest.
As a consequence, I’ve been waking up earlier too. 😉 The actual waking hours are the same, just offset earlier by a couple or so, but I am able to accomplish more now that I have been waking up early. IDK, but there’s just so much energy and productivity in the mornings. I hope to we–the little one and I–will be able to sustain this. 🙂
Ah. Finally have time to sit down and write something substantial for this blog. The first two weeks of the new year were spent getting sick: first with stomach flu for a couple of days, then migraine headaches which lasted longer, and another eczema flare (courtesy of all the unhealthy eating during the holidays 😛 ). Nothing major, but still annoying in that I couldn’t function fully. Nor could I rest adequately, as it was in the midst of resuming regular work routine, while still running a household, and running after the toddler and preparing for his second birthday celebration.
Since this is my first official post for the new year (the other one doesn’t count being just a greeting 😛 ), new year’s resolutions are in order. I’ve been giving it some thought and I’ve decided to do away with the usual listing of resolutions and join in the One Word movement.
I still have my list of Things To Do for the year (I’m looking at you, driver’s license! 😛 And some house projects.) and Faith Goals (which are things *humanly impossible* to achieve and so I just pray for them 😉 ). But I couldn’t really count them as resolutions. Resolutions are supposed to effect positive and long-lasting changes, through commitment and effort. Not things you just tick off a list, and suddenly voila! You’re a better person because of it. i.e. Yay! I finally got my driver’s license = I’m happier. 😛 I’ve lost 5 lbs = I’m healthy. 😮
And so this One Word “mission” seems appealing. You know the drill: One Word to focus on every day, all year long. One Word to rule them all. One Word to find them. One Word to bring them all and in the darkness bind them, err… 😛 One Word to sum up who you want to be or how you want to live for the year. 😉
My One Word for 2016 is: MINDFULNESS. There’s already a growing movement for Mindfulness and its various permutations (intentional living, slow living) and associations (minimalism, green living). I’ve actually been trying to abide by it for quite some time now. But the new year’s a perfect time to declare and claim it for my life. 😎
♥ I will be mindful of the food I eat and how it is prepared. I will sit down and savor each bite, chew slowly and longer, and enjoy my meal. 😉 I will also drink lots of water!
♥ I will be mindful of my expenses. While I am able to think over major expenses, it’s the little thoughtless purchases which when totaled pack a huge sum i.e. fancy coffees, app downloads, magazine subscriptions, eat-outs when stressed, tricycle rides because I’m too lazy to walk 😛
♥ I will be mindful of my time. I will wake up early in the mornings. That being said, I will sleep early at night and cut back on idle Internet surfing at night. 😛 I will not procrastinate.
♥ I will be mindful of my thoughts. I will think positive, and will not let worry or fear paralyze me.
♥ I will be mindful of my words. I will think before I speak and exercise tact.
♥ I will be mindful of my actions, especially those I show my son. At two, he is starting to imitate us. It’s both funny and frightening–the latter when it’s our bad habits and mannerisms he mimics. Tsk tsk
♥ I will be mindful of the moments I spend with my family, for these are very fleeting. My son is growing up too fast, and my parents are getting older. I will spend more time with them and enjoy these times, being fully present and shutting down distractions.
So there. I think “Mindfulness” is very fitting as the first “One Word” of this blog. It gives a whole new meaning to what Aggie’s Amygdala is all about. 🙂
Coz the New Year is always the perfect time for starting over again and strengthening one’s resolve. 😎 A few are recurring resolutions, but I’ve got new goals for this year.
- Wake up early. There’s so much productivity and energy in the mornings! 🙂
- Daily devotion. I usually get to do this in my spare time, or at the end of the day. But I want it to be at a more regular time, particularly at the start of my day (hence the first resolution) and before Elmo wakes up.
- Lose weight. I wasn’t on a diet last year because I was breastfeeding exclusively, which really did wonders for my weight. I was happy, I didn’t have to regulate what I eat, and I ate a lot! 😀 But now that Elmo’s a year and is already eating solids and breastfeeding less, my metabolism ain’t keeping up anymore with my intake. 😛 I’ve packed on pounds during the recent holidays, and I barely fit in my clothes anymore.
- Skincare. I never gave my skin that much attention when I was younger. But now that I am getting older, I’m starting to feel the effects of aging, and no, I’m not talking about crow’s feet & wrinkles, but skin dryness, horrendous allergies, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and scars taking too long to heal. 😮
- Read. I only got to read 2 books last year: “Plain Truth” & “The Fault in Our Stars”. Make that 4 if you’ll include the 2 other self-help books on child-rearing: “Becoming Baby-Wise” & “How To Raise a Brighter Child”. If you have any suggestions for books/authors, drop me a line in the comments. 😉 I intend to read more this year.
- Write more often. I might not have been blogging much, but I have been journalling more often, mostly about Elmo’s exploits. I intend to keep this up.
- Explore the outdoors. If it’s just me, I am content with staying at home, reading, writing, cleaning the house, clearing out the house. 😛 But Elmo’s a little ball of energy, and he needs a large space to run around and explore. Also, there’s so much nature in our province, it’ll be a waste to not be able to enjoy these places.
- Get my driver’s license. I have been driving for a year now, on a student permit and always with my husband in tow. It’s just that every time I am to take my driving exam, something “Major” comes up! I hope to be able to take my driving test this year.
- Less idle Internet surfing, ie. Facebook, and gossip sites. 😛
- Have Faith. Because I tend to worry a lot.